Wednesday 17 April 2013

18/04/2013

Dear Diary,

What a difference, I feel like my life has taken a 360.

Pressure became unbearable for me in my voluntary job at the station, not the pressure of the work load, but the pressure of back biting and slander.

The final straw being issues with me taken out on my son.  So before it could get worse I resigned and opted to work solely for my son who appreciates the work I do.  He said "Mum don't worry just work with me, you're good at social networking and you teach me a lot..." He's so encouraging, I feel ashamed to be such a burden to him, but my burden I feel was eased when he received his "Rotary International Britain and Ireland Award".

He was nominated in February and after we discussed it chose to also suggest we nominate his co-host Becki.  To my utter surprise they won out of 75 regions across the UK and Ireland not one but two awards alongside their "Cardiff & Vale Young Carers Interact Club".

I was invited to attend the awards ceremony, but fear overtook me, what if I embarrassed him I thought.  What if I am too ill after the 6 hour journey.  Then him. my mother and father convinced me it would be wrong of me not to go.

Then I was concerned about who would take care of my buppies?  Thankfully my neighbour came to my rescue. there were no excuses left for me not to attend.

I was so anxious the night before that I did not sleep all night, I know when I'm nervous I talk a lot, or become loud.  I was worried about driving in a vehicle and concerned about the fact I may have another road traffic accident.  Still it wasn't about me it was and is about celebrating my son and his co-hosts achievements in trying to raise awareness of young carer issues.

The 6 hour journey did however take a toll on my body.  I was sure to take my medications which caused me to sleep all the way there, so that when the service stiop came I was still fast asleep.  When we finally arrived in North Yorkshire my lower body has seized up and could not manoeuvre out of the car, thankfully
my son, Becki's Dad and the 'Holiday Inn' came to my rescue.  

I was lifted out of the car into a wheel chair at which point it became overwhelming and I cried, I didn't want this to happen to be a burden to anyone, I was ashamed of my position and felt even more silly bursting into tears.  But as usual CJ knew the right thing to say to bring my crying to tears of joy.  He reminded me why he likes to take things slowly and why it's not good to rush; "you see Mum, this is why I take things as slow as a tortoise because you get no where trying to rush..." I could not stop laughing.

The 'Holiday Inn' was quite accommodating  they provided a raised toilet seat, bath slab and bath mat.  The room was comfortable we had heating and they also gave me extra quilts, so that I did not get cold.  The colder it is the more difficult I find it to move around, my body tenses and my muscles contract more and I experience a lot more painful spasms.

Harrogate is such a lovley place, the people are friendly, more friendly than even Cardiff I found.  It was an experience of a lifetime to be around so many positive people in one place at one time.

Becki and CJ with their RIBI YCA
To sit in the crowd watching my son on the stage receiving his awards was a surreal experience, I felt like I was in a dream, with all he has been through to hear his words of encouragement to other young carers made me feel honoured to be his mother.  I am extremely blessed and I know it's because of my mother and church prayers that are keeping us to this day.

Then this morning my scripture reading was from Acts 3 which spoke of "the stone the buliders rejected became the head corner stone" for every person who has oppressed CJ and made him feel like he didn't belong, it was for such a time as this, so that he could be an ambassoder for young carers so as he said "they don't feel isolated or alone".

I just hope I can make him as proud as he makes me by God's grace and keep being a good influence on and in his life.

To watch the young carers show channel/ youth beats road trip click this URL


To watch the video of why he received the award click this URL

To watch the video of him accepting his awards click this URL and forward it to 10 mins: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s23d2/Rotary_Young_Citizen_Awards_2013/

No comments:

Post a Comment