Monday 12 March 2012

12/03/12

Dear Diary,

It has been a tough weekend for me, I was bedridden most of Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  The frustration set in on Sunday as I was supposed to interview Romeo and Lisa Maffia from So Solid Crew on the Friday, then visit Roath Lock on the weekend of their tours open to lucky ticket winners.  But I was not physically strong enough, and could not cope with the pain I was in.  This morning my son had to help me to get out of bed, I was seized up and could not pry my legs apart from the foetal position I had slept in all night, my legs ache terribly this morning and my son had to support me to walk to the bathroom, as my left leg was numb, I could feel pins and needles in the foot but nothing in the leg itself it kept giving out on me.

Times like this are quite frustrating.  I don't know what brought this on as the weather was hot this weekend. I do know I am worse for wear the week before menstruation, the week during and a couple of days after so it may be this.

My memory has also not been it's best I was convinced my carers had misplaced my brush for the dustpan, and it was so weird because I was reminded that I had broken it previously, this morning. 

I don't really have much planned for this week other than getting my home in order.  Sorting paperwork and tidying up as when I am ill there is a build up of housework to do.

So thankful for the support of my Mum and son, my Mum bought us Chinese on Saturday and had it delivered and CJ put up with my mood swings did the bins this morning and walked the puppies over the weekend. 

My frustrations are that I want to be well and have some more knowledge as to how I can control my Fibromyalgia instead of feeling like it controls me.


Afternoon Feelings


Dear Diary,


Following the reading from the UCB Word For Today, my mother's inspirational words, I had a rest and made an application to college.  I cannot feel defeated, I must keep kicking, keep trying! So I wrote a personal statement and can only hope for the best.



"As a child I was always good at two things the Arts and caring for people.  I could never have enough Crayola sets, and I would love spending time with the elderly.


Once I became a mother and I experienced complications during my pregnancy, I had a desire to learn more about Health Care Sciences and pursue a career in Medicine.


However following a road traffic accident I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and PTSD.  I spent 9 weeks in hospital learning how to do simple things like walking, opening a door, dressing and transferring from one place to another.  I found that Art aided my recovery as I was able to express my inner emotions through drawings and poetry. I also had to battle Agoraphobia following my discharge.  I had a fear of how people would perceive me now that I was disabled.  I remembered how my Father had told me his friends taught him to swim one summer.  He said they had visited "Empire Pool" and threw him into the deep end.


If I was to overcome my fears I had to do the same so to speak. So I began volunteering in radio where I would have to constantly be around people, and be in the public, media eye where often perception is everything, how you look, what you wear, what you achieve.  The media is often unsympathetic and unforgiving when it comes to people's misfortunes and there is nothing one can do but ignore certain emotions and press on with the task at hand.


Having experienced press conferences, celebrity interviews and becoming a published journalist, I would now like to re-train academically and believe the best starting point for me would be to access the Diploma in Foundation Studies Art & Design course.


I have a portfolio containing photographs, ceramics, life-drawings and fashion design.  I have a new found love through embracing my love of Art.  Within the portfolio there are also pictures I have kept from my GCSE Art days in school.  I enjoy being creative, I have a passion for fashion, and I am happiest when working with clay or at a sewing machine.  I would also love to learn more about Adobe design options, I have seen some amazing techniques achieved through this computer software and although I am an old school artist with a love for the renaissance Art period and Bauhaus creativity, I like to move with the times, combining Art from my African-Caribbean heritage and westernised art movements.


I look forward to being creative and exploring my capabilities, having the freedom to use my knowledge of colour, light, art techniques, fashion, photography imaging and being able to apply these in an academic setting.


I am excited for what the future will hold on this course, should I be one of the privileged and pass the various processes securing my place as an Art student.
I believe this will open many doors for me given my experience in managing projects, workloads and prioritising my time to meet deadlines."

No comments:

Post a Comment